Do the New OSHA Injury Reports Requirements Apply to You?

September 1, 2017

In July 2017, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (also known as OSHA) issued a press release related to new deadlines for electronic submission of OSHA forms regarding workplace injuries. Generally, employers with twenty or more employees (in certain industries) are required to submit their completed Form 300A for 2016 by December 1, 2017. In 2018, all covered employers must submit their completed Form 300A, 300 and 301 for 2017 by July 1, 2018.

The new requirement became effective on January 1, 2017, but the new reporting requirements are being phased in over a two-year period. Beginning in 2019, and every year thereafter, covered establishments must submit the information by March 2. OSHA will provide a secure website that offers three options for data submission.

The list of covered industries include all of the following:

  • Construction
  • Manufacturing
  • Wholesale trade
  • Automotive parts, accessories, and tire stores
  • Furniture stores
  • Home furnishings stores
  • Building material and supplies dealers
  • Lawn and garden equipment and supplies stores
  • Grocery stores
  • Specialty food stores
  • Department stores
  • Other general merchandise stores
  • Used merchandise stores
  • Direct selling establishments
  • Scheduled air transportation
  • General and specialized freight trucking
  • Urban transit systems
  • Interurban and rural bus transportation
  • Taxi and limousine service
  • School and employee bus transportation
  • Charter bus industry
  • Other transit and ground passenger transportation
  • Scenic and sightseeing transportation, land
  • Support activities for air, rail, water, or road transportation
  • Couriers and express delivery services
  • Local messengers and local delivery
  • Warehousing and storage
  • Cable and other subscription programming
  • Lessors of real estate
  • Automotive equipment rental and leasing
  • Consumer goods rental
  • General rental centers
  • Services to buildings and dwellings
  • Waste treatment and disposal
  • Remediation and other waste management services
  • Other ambulatory health care services
  • General medical and surgical hospitals
  • Psychiatric and substance abuse hospitals
  • Specialty (except psychiatric and substance abuse) hospitals
  • Nursing care facilities
  • Residential mental retardation, mental health, and substance abuse facilities
  • Community care facilities for the elderly
  • Other residential care facilities
  • Community food and housing, and emergency and other relief services
  • Vocational rehabilitation services
  • Performing arts companies
  • Spectator sports
  • Museums, historical sites, and similar institutions
  • Amusement parks and arcades
  • Gambling industries
  • Traveler accommodations
  • Rooming and boarding houses
  • Special food services
  • Dry-cleaning and laundry services

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact an employment attorney at Golan Christie Taglia, LLP.